Creatively Managing Conflict
At the end of each session, participants were asked to describe what lesson from the program had the greatest impact on them. What resonated for them the most? Here is a representative sample of comments:
- I realize now I heavily lean toward a couple of conflict approaches and underutilize the alternatives. I also learned about the elements of conflict and taking the time to think through those elements when selecting an approach.
- I can use these techniques in advance of presenting a topic that I think will be divisive. That way I can be ready on my feet to address different perspectives.
- The exercise that made me reflect on my tendencies in conflict situations was extremely useful. Knowing this first can help me consider the different options before choosing one.
- I have tended to deal with conflict the same way in many situations. But now understanding the pros and cons of each “FACES of Conflict” approach has been eye-opening. Gave me a new perspective on how to go about handling conflict.
- My takeaway was that I always try to compromise or accommodate because I want to make everyone happy. I now realize that sometimes I need to be more assertive in pursuing what I believe is right and important.
- I can use these techniques for professional purposes and for my personal conflicts too. The examples were very helpful and I really liked how you explained your reasons to support your approach in each of the different cases. Thank you!
- I usually feel strongly about things and I don’t back down. It was very helpful to learn the value of other options. And the exercises helped me identify where I need to improve.
- One takeaway for me is to not see conflict as necessarily coming from a bad place. That’s how I have typically viewed it. I realize now that if managed well, it’s an opportunity to understand and resolve differences and achieve better results.
- This was a fantastic class that helped me think outside of the box and recognize my tendencies in conflict. I will apply the principles you covered and try out the different ways to handle conflict. I feel this will help me grow in my leadership role.
- Learning about the various approaches and putting a name on each helps me realize what my options are when a conflict arises. I also liked the emphasis on not always choosing what is most comfortable, but rather what best fits the situation.
- Often my conflict resolution options were like colored balls that I randomly pulled from a bag and went with whatever I selected. This class gave me a systematic way to consider my options and how to select a constructive approach.
- I thought it was extremely helpful to bring to light what I lean towards when dealing with conflict and how to be more versatile. The real-world examples were eye opening!
- I really enjoyed covering the pros and cons of each conflict resolution style. I tend to use one primarily. So seeing the benefits of the others and drawbacks of mine was enlightening. I will definitely incorporate the other styles going forward.
- Love Love Loved this training!!! I struggle with strategizing before approaching a conflict. I usually come up with better solutions after the fact. I believe the Conflict Strategizing Approach you covered will be very helpful. Thanks so much!