Influencing Skills Within Teams
At the end of each session, participants were asked to describe what lesson from the program had the greatest impact on them. What resonated for them the most? Here is a representative sample of comments:
- Great session. I will use the “adapt to your audience” analysis before I speak to those I want to persuade in order to have my ideas peak their interest and acceptance.
- I like your point that one’s impact is rarely neutral. I think that speaks to the importance of positive engagement in conversations, whether one-on-one or in a group.
- Deciding what kind of impression I want to leave with others and applying the behaviors we covered here to form that impression, while still being totally authentic.
- To consider specifically what I want my message to achieve and then convey its importance through the other person’s lens. This is powerful.
- Making sure I always find a way to add value to others by using the techniques you covered.
- The “A vs. B” activity was extremely valuable to help me tailor my message and delivery toward an individual or group. Influencing and guiding others is a huge part of our performance evaluations, so I feel this class has been very relevant.
- The 10 “Zappers” are a great summation of qualities that one should emulate. Identifying your natural approach to others and determining where it clashes with your inclinations is important as well.
- I really appreciated your point that we don't need to change in major ways when adapting to our audience. Just making a couple of small, well-chosen adjustments can be the tipping point for success in how my message is received.
- Understanding how to assess others to connect with them in a way that helps them and gains buy-in for my ideas.
- Honestly, the value of listening! As you noted, people frequently gravitate to the best listeners in a group. I like what you said that engaged listening is a conscious decision. Once I make that decision, I should stop catering to distractions.
- Self-reflection on my communication style and what I should work on to enhance my credibility with my peers and the leaders I support.
- I really liked the “Boxes of Influence” activity that showed how to connect with your audience, and what questions to consider when planning to persuade different individuals.
- The Laws of Attraction. How the 3 key questions that others ask about me can make a major difference in my ability to influence them and motivate them to reach out to me.
- The overwhelming impact of “Zappers” on being influential. Focusing on two is a great takeaway for me to work on.
- The comparison exercise was hugely important to me. I can think of one particular individual who I need to be better at influencing. I saw some areas where I can do things differently to promote a better overall interaction with her.
- The session made me reflect on how I can earn trust, add value, and be a team member who is enjoyable to be around. I will apply what I learned here to be a better colleague.
- Thinking about how others see me and how to make adjustments. Others’ views might not always align with how I think I am (and should be) perceived. Thanks for the great information! I thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from this course.